Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Why I Love/Hate HBCUs

As everyone knows by now, I attend Alabama A&M. By growing up in North Alabama, I always saw the frequent headlines about A&M and its problems that often ranged from getting a new president or uncovering that yet another person had been stealing from the University. As the time approached for me to make a decision about where I wanted to go to college, I knew that A&M was not an option...not so much because I didn't want to go to a "Historically Black" institution, but because I didn't want to attend school so close to home...(actually, I wanted to follow Patrice to Alabama State University, but that's a whole 'nother story). Either way, I ended up at UAB and I did my five years (lol) and definitely had my fun while there. However, I still had a longing to attend an HBCU, so when it came time to prepare to receive a Master's degree, I gave A&M another look.

While there, I have had the wonderful experience of learning for acclaimed academians and practitioners. I actually feel as my professors are all the very interested in my well-being as well as my future -- and that's something that I didn't experience while at UAB. However, with all of these positives of attending an HBCU, there is an EXTREME downside to it....THEIR ADMINISTRATIVE DEPARTMENTS SUCK!!!!

OMG! Right about now, if I could ride up to Normal, Alabama and go on the Hill I might just strangle someone at the business office!! I've been waiting on my refund from my financial aid for TWO WEEKS and although I call and am consistently polite to everyone with whom I speak, they still manage to give me the run-around!!! Ugh! I honestly don't understand it! How is that I never EVER encountered these problems in all of my years at UAB. Yet, without fail, my financial aid refund disbursement process is always like pulling teeth!!! It might not be such a big deal, but I'm not working and that financial aid is my ONLY source of money at this time...I try not to be a whiner, but GEEZ!!

Seriously, no one understands how I cannot wait until May 2010!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's so interesting that you say this because I am a Master's student at Howard, who attended the University of South Carolina for undergrad, and I have had the worst issues at Howard with financial aid! I'm actually waiting on my refund check now because they had "insufficient funds" to cover my refund! How can you have insufficient funds when my loan company contacted me to say that they sent MY MONEY to the school over a month ago?!? Also, I'm glad you've had an overall enriching experience at your HBCU, but Howard has been an OVERALL nightmare! Never again!