Thursday, June 25, 2009

I remember when...

My dad has always been a great influence in many aspects of my life. For instance, my dad has always been a great fan of music and he, in turn, made me one as well. On one particular night, I remember, as a young girl waiting up for him as I normally did to get off of his 2nd shift job at the local General Motors plant in Decatur, AL. I greeted him with a huge smile as he did me...we went through our normal father/daughter exchange in which both of us asked the other how their respective day went. However, on this particular night, I distinctly recall my dad telling me how he picked up a new cassette tape (lol)... I became excited and asked who it was. The tape that he presented to me left an indeliable mark on me -- it was Michael Jackson's "Bad" LP. I remember my dad asking me if I knew who he was and I said, "of course!!" After all, I was a huge fan of MTV and he was constantly plastered on that channel despite the darker hue of his skin. I remember Daddy putting the tape into the tape player in my room and listening to the first few notes of the intro to the title track of the "Bad" album. I remember being instantly hooked...I looked at my dad and he looked at me. We bobbed our heads and listened to a few more of the tracks. Prior to that shared moment, I remember Michael as being the guy who walked on the squares that lit up in the "Billie Jean" video. Prior to that moment, I remember everyone being transfixed in my household while we watch the Motown 25th Anniversary special where Michael introduced the infamous "moonwalk". I also remember being slightly scared at watching the "Thriller" video or wondering if I was ever gonna get into a fight in the street like he did in the "Beat It" video. But, on the night that my dad brought the "Bad" tape into my room, I remember becoming a lifelong fan....I didn't miss a tape/cd of his...everything from "Dangerous", to "HIStory" (which I rushed from freshman band camp to get and spent my LAST $25 on it because it was a double disc and those weren't popular during that time...nonetheless a good investment in my opinion), and "Invincible" ("Butterflies" was my isht during college). Either way, regardless of the memory or the album/new music that he came up with, nothing besides that time where I became a bonified MJ fan will compare to the time when I heard that he died. I thought it was a terrible rumor and even thought it was a hoax. But, I have now accepted that he's no longer here...so now, I will just remember him...

No comments: